I am not sure that I am so 'happy underground' after my experience at Ballarat last week and I have developed an unparalled respect for those that work down there.
My first day at my new job I was off to the mining and processing operations in Ballarat. Talk about baptism of fire....I had it. Thrown in the deep end with the operation, meeting new people and the intranet redevelopment project. Thankfully my boss and two of our consultants were there to answer the really hard questions.
I now have a new venacular for work (there is nothing like a few acronyms to confuse people) that includes; stope, portal, decline, leeching, jumbo, CLT, BLT (sounds like a sandwich), JSA, SWI, STP, PRG and step backs.
The highlight of the week was, of course, my trip underground. Michael, one of the GeoTech team, took my boss and I underground to show us some of the development work and generally how things were going 'down the hole'. If anyone wants to buy me Geology for Dummies, for Christmas it might come in handy. Try as I might I couldn't summon enough information from my Year 5 unit on Gold to get me through the day. There were too many geological terms with 'ite' at the end for my liking!
I can tell you: 1) that it was interesting and 2) I have never been so happy to see the light at the end of the tunnel in my entire life.
I'll stick to the surface on the earth thanks!
No comments:
Post a Comment