Today started early….way too early for my liking. But that seems to be the way on the Island. Early to bed, early to rise.
It does help, however, to be awake when you start work in the morning. From the outset it was information overload – suggestions and requirements were flying from every direction. Meanwhile I’m still trying to figure out my boss and what he really wants from me….Oh, the challenges of a new job!
One one hand, I am loving the experience of the Island, the people, the culture, the environment. On the other hand, the challenges of my new job continually creep into my consciousness, destroying the tranquility.
In the afternoon we got to drive around one of the local villages and see first hand the local Lihirian people and some of the aspects of their culture. Everyone we passed waved and said hello, including the GORGEOUS little blonde fuzzy haired children. How I would love to take one of those little guys home! All happy and healthy they looked (from my general observations) like they were enjoying life on the Island.
From an environmental perspective the surroundings were stunning. Almost indescribable. I have never seen such intense rainforest before with the distinct canopy and undergrowth levels. The diversity of the plants and the way in which is grew across the mountainous landscape had me engaged the entire trip.
On another trip to the Island I would love to walk down into the village and talk with some of the Lihirian people, play soccer with the kids and experience their lifestyle more closely. Driving around in our 4wd was great but it made me feel a little bit like a tourist in a zoo.
Overall this trip has really stirred in my spirit and renewed in me a awe and respect for the wonder of God’s creation. The intricacies of this small corner of the earth that God thought to create and took the time to make unique.
I am reminded of the hymn;
Oh Lord my God, when I in awesome wonder
Consider all the works Thy hands hath made
I see the stars, I hear the rolling thunder,
Thy power through all the universe displayed
Then sings my soul, my Saviour God to Thee,
How great Thou art, how great Thou art
Then sings my soul, my Saviour God to Thee,
How great Thou art, how great Thou art
No comments:
Post a Comment