I will preface all of my following comments with this one. It was an amazing production of a beautifully crafted ballet by Rudolf Nureyev. My question is, would Nureyev have been happy with Friday night's performance? I think not.
Whilst technically things were beautiful (especially the large corps work in Act 3) I felt like the performance lacked passion, specifically from many of the principal dancers. If there was one thing that Nureyev did not lack it was passion. When he danced on stage you were captivated. This is coming from someone who never saw him live, only ever on film, and even then he was mesmerising.
Now I know that no one can ever emulate Nureyev, it's just not possible. However, one would think that in order to dance a ballet choreographed by him at such a poignant part of his career (just before his untimely death in 1993) the dancers should perform with as much passion as they can muster.
And let's face it, these dancers are French. If there's one emotion or trait the French are (in)famous for it's passion (or arrogance depending on your point of view - I tend to err on the side of passion).
Even Al in all of his ballet experience (hehe) was less than completely enamoured. It's quite funny to hear him critic the dancers, he even knows 'the words' ie the correct ballet terminology for some things (other things he tries to demo and it's hilarious).
Maybe this armchair critic has set her expectations too high? Or maybe not? You be the judge. It's well worth seeing this performance and likely one of the only times we'll get a decent ballet company in Brisbane for a while considering the Aust Ballet has chosen not to grace us with their presence again until 2010.

No comments:
Post a Comment