July hailed the first annual (or Bi-annual) De Rooy family holiday. For our first holiday destination Rob & Michelle had chosen the snow, mainly to appease Dean and Al’s constant nagging for the last 10 years or so. Unable to get the accommodation we wanted in Thredbo or Perisher, we packed up the cars in the Gong and headed on a 7-hour drive to Mt Buller in Victoria.
Al and I had flown down late the night before so the prospect of getting up at 6am was not appealing to me, however sacrifices had to be made. I wasn’t however, sacrificing my traditional ‘Road Trip McDonald’s breakfast’ so our first stop on the way down was a Goulburn Maccas for hotcakes!
Our accommodation was about 20kms past Mansfield and about 25kms from the actual ski fields. The boys were keen and so they hopped in the car bright and early on the first day and headed up the ski fields even though you couldn’t see the top of the mountain for the clouds.
Fun-filled days of snow and other winter adventures ensued but I won’t go into all of them. Even I managed to get a few days ‘up the mountain’ albeit most of my time was spent inside with a hot chocolate in one hand and a book in the other! I did make it out into the snow and Al even got me to ride down the slope on his snowboard – like a toboggan though, with both of sitting on it! It must have been a hilarious site for those around us.
After a week I was happy to be heading home (not so happy to be going back to work!) despite the fact that I had slept for the last 6 nights in a king-sized….woo hoo so much room!
It was a great holiday, and something I hope that we can keep doing even as the family gets older, but I have voted for the next one to be in a tropical destination!
Al and I had flown down late the night before so the prospect of getting up at 6am was not appealing to me, however sacrifices had to be made. I wasn’t however, sacrificing my traditional ‘Road Trip McDonald’s breakfast’ so our first stop on the way down was a Goulburn Maccas for hotcakes!
Our accommodation was about 20kms past Mansfield and about 25kms from the actual ski fields. The boys were keen and so they hopped in the car bright and early on the first day and headed up the ski fields even though you couldn’t see the top of the mountain for the clouds.
Fun-filled days of snow and other winter adventures ensued but I won’t go into all of them. Even I managed to get a few days ‘up the mountain’ albeit most of my time was spent inside with a hot chocolate in one hand and a book in the other! I did make it out into the snow and Al even got me to ride down the slope on his snowboard – like a toboggan though, with both of sitting on it! It must have been a hilarious site for those around us.

The weather held up nicely and we even got some fresh snow while we were there. The days were mild, certainly no need for all the scarves and beanies I had packed. Our nights in the apartment were filled with tired ski-ed out bodies either laying in front of the TV or playing our new favourite game – Farkle. It’s kind of a cross between Yahtzee and Pass the Pigs.
After a week I was happy to be heading home (not so happy to be going back to work!) despite the fact that I had slept for the last 6 nights in a king-sized….woo hoo so much room!
It was a great holiday, and something I hope that we can keep doing even as the family gets older, but I have voted for the next one to be in a tropical destination!
1 comment:
Hint taken. I will look into a tropical locale. Fiji sounded nice on Getaway last week, but maybe too expensive for most. Umm. Gold Coast is too close to you guys>>>> ah well we'll have to put our thinking caps on.
Post a Comment