On the way into the community we decided to measure how far it was we'd actually walked that day. I had bets on 10kms but Opa thought that it was probably only 6kms considering the fact that we were carrying Miri. On arrival in Gurrumurru we were all stunned to find out it was actually 14kms.
After we arrived we discovered that our Yolngu family were still in town even though they were expected to return two days earlier. Oma was disappointed as she had not had the chance to meet any of the family and it didn't look like it was going to happen.
After some initial awkwardness we set-up camp near Bruce & Susan's house and set about getting organised for the night. We were halfway there when we were invited to go down to the saltwater river by Trevor, one of the elders (and Bruce's brother) where some others were fishing.
Sunset at the saltwater river
Dinner consisted of scotch fillet and potatos on the fire - great camping food. In the throws of getting dinner ready and Miriam to bed, I got eaten alive by mosquitos - it was after we got home the next day I realised I had more than 50 bites. I don't think any of the others had to wear Mozzie repellant, I think they just sat next to me.
Trevor came over after dinner and had coffee and a chat with us. Even though Bruce and Susan weren't there it was great to get to know some of the other people that live in that community. Technically we are related to all of them in some way so it's nice to know who they all are.
The next morning we had a very lazy start. When we'd finally packed up and gotten going, Opa and Oma headed straight out and onto Katherine whilst Al and I stayed and went fishing with Lance, and his family. They took us over to another river where Lance and Al proceeded to catch freshwater barramundi. Lance was much more skilled than Al with the handreel but they both caught a few.
On the way to the fishing spot we saw a number of buffalo in the long grass as well as an abundance of birds. Lance and Al forgot to bring the shotgun otherwise we would have been eating buff for lunch (and days afterwards!).
It is difficult to show the beauty of this place in the photos but it is really one of the most tranquil and spectacular places I have ever been. Everytime we leave we remark how priviledged we are to see this part of the world - one which few white people will ever see. God in all His wisdom created this beautiful place and all of it's inhabitants and it's truly breathtaking (although sometimes I question what He was thinking when He created mosquitos).
It always amazes us that we are fortunate enough to be welcomed into this land by its traditional owners and are able to share in their life and their culture.
No comments:
Post a Comment