Every now and then you will get a really chatty cab driver who is dying to share their views on something with you. You might recall my blog - Political confessions of a taxi driver - well this follows the same lines only this time the cabbie was only too eager to share his culinary expertise.
It all started when we were stuck in traffic. Brisbane is notorious for one tiny problem bringing to whole CBD to a standstill. This time it was the impending test match at Suncorp between Aust & NZ.
Al called and told me he wouldn't be home till late. I then volunteered to make a dinner 'that would keep' so that he could re-heat when he got home. Spaghetti was the suggestion, if I recall. Upon ending the call the taxi driver piped up and said "You know what goes really well in spaghetti? - Masterfoods sweet & sour sauce". And it all went downhill from there.
Apparently adding a jar of Masterfoods Sweet & Sour sauce to your spaghetti bolognaise is the way to go. I can hear a million Italian grandmothers scream......
And it gets better. After touting the goodness of adding sweet & sour to your bolognaise, he then went off on a Gravy train - Gravox to be exact. Apparently, its not only good for a sauce, but a marinade as well. And not just beef, any meat will do.
I gave up listening somewhere in his ravings about the joys of soy (sauce) but continued to politely agree and 'smile and nod'. It was Friday night, it was late and I had encountered a long and exhausting week.
Needless to say I went home and made my spaghetti bolognaise - without the Masterfoods sweet & sour sauce - just couldn't bring myself to do it.
1 comment:
Nicely. We also had s'getti on friday night. Also, no sweetnsour or gravox. But you know what goes really well in a bolognaise? Meat, and other things! Yep. You heard it here first.
Post a Comment