Miriam was born at 1pm on 22 Sept after a 15 1/2 hour labour. Labour started in earnest the night before just as the Emmy's telecast was starting. We ventured to the hospital at around 2:30am once the contractions were 4 minutes apart and I was starting to get a bit edgy.
After the first examination they told me I was already 4cm dilated so we settled into the birth suite to prepare for the rest. At the next check, 4 hours later, I was 7cm and progressing well. My student midwife was there to help as well as one of the hospital midwives. But it was Al who was doing all the coaching. He helped me to breathe through all the contractions and then rest between (as much as possible). He took me in and out of the shower and rubbed my back almost constantly.
After another 4 hours they checked me again and I was 9cm but my waters hadn't broken. The midwvies suggested they break my waters and it would speed the last bit of the process along. I agreed as I was started to feel exhaustion set in and was wondering how I was ever going to push this little thing out considering how tired I already was. So, whilst sucking on the Nitrous Oxide for dear life they broke my waters and the baby's head made a swift move towards the outside world.
Back in the shower it was time to push. I'll spare you any really gory details (if you really want to know, just ask) but 15 minutes of pushing (it didn't even seem that long) and she was here. They passed her to me and the first thing I asked was....'what did we have?'. Peeling back the blanket revealed a beautiful little girl. Miriam was here.
Back onto the bed for a rest and placenta delivery Miriam lay quietly on my chest admiring her surroundings. Al got to cut the cord, a momentous occasion before they weighed and measured her. We thought she was going to be in the region of 8-9lbs but she weighed in at a small 7lbs12 (or 3.5kgs for those of you who go metric).
So nearly 16hrs, 3 midwifery shifts and a lot of breathing, puffing and screaming later, we are parents!
No comments:
Post a Comment