12 April 2010

Miriam's first camping trip

It’s one of the great parental tests; taking your baby on their first camping trip. For some it is a monumental disaster, the baby doesn’t sleep, hates the outdoors, and gets bitten by bugs. Others have a dream run. Thankfully when we took Miriam to Turtle Beach overnight just before Easter our experience was the latter.

She took to camping like a duck to water. Had fun playing in the sand, laying nude on the mat and sleeping on the floor of the tent. It was surprisingly relaxing for Al and I too, although I during the night I was reminded of why Miriam has always slept in her own room. Every noise she made, every sniff, snore, babble or burp, I woke up and checked on her.


Al somehow managed to sleep through everything while I dreamt of crocodiles crawling into the tent and buffalos trampling us. Maybe I had too much of that coffee we made in our new camping percolator (thanks Benita!).

I know it was only one night but it was a good introduction to the outdoor lifestyle of Arnhem Land for our little trooper.

PS Thanks Em and Ben for letting us crash your campsite and sharing your camping soirée with us.

No comments: