13 October 2011

Are you thinking what I'm thinking B1?

I think I am B2 - It's Miriam's Birthday!

That's right our little princess has turned the big 2. And seeing how excited she gets everytime those two yellow things in striped pyjamas come on the TV we opted for a Bananas in Pyjamas themed party complete with guests wearing their pyjamas.

Aunty Christie and the Giles clan got in on the act by creating 4 giant cardboard cutouts of the Bananas in Pyjamas characters. Miri was very impressed, albeit a little scared at first, by these creative additions to the party.

The kids consumed a bucket load of sugar (as is traditional at any kids bday party) while the adults chowed down on the famous spinach dip in the cobb loaf - yes thanks to the bakery I can now return this popular dish to my entertaining repetoire.


The trampoline and sand pit paid for themselves several times over by keeping the kids amused - Allan had filled the trampoline with balloons, so apart from the occasional crying from a balloon popping suddenly the adults had a reasonable peaceful afternoon.


And then came the cake......

In the traditional of the 'Womens Weekly Childrens Cake' book - I went to the ABC Kids cookbook (which I paid 50c for at a garage sale in town and now I know why!) for inspiration. Low and behold there were instructions for Bananas in Pyjamas cakes! I don't even know if Adriano Zumbo (forgive me for the gratuitous Master Chef reference) could have pulled off these cakes as written in the book but I gave it my best shot.

The cut outs of the cakes before their transformation into Bananas.




The transformation into Bananas is complete.


Unhindered by the power outage which took up most of the morning. I went to work and managed to pull off what I think are quite respectable imitations of B1 and B2. Certainly Miriam knew what they were when we brought them out - so that's a good start.



Blowing out the birthday candles (even before Mummy could get them lit properly)



Our family of three (soon to be family of four) with Miriam doing her best 'cheesy' smile

No comments: