12 November 2007

All I want is a room somewhere


Actually I really want more than that. I want a sizeable house, with a great view of something spectacular in a nice area close to everything but out of the 'rat race'.
Sounds impossible doesn't it? You would think so in this economic climate and all the debate being thrown around about housing/rental affordability.

When it comes to the crunch, however, it is not about what I want, but what I need. At the moment I am stuck in a debate with Al about whether we need to move to a house or whether our apartment is sufficient for our present needs. I want to move to a house (NB: we are talking renting here not buying), but Al believes that we can make do with our little art-deco flat for a bit longer. There is definately a question of want -v- need here. I want to move to a bigger place but I agree that we do not need to.

My thoughts then beg the question 'since when have we (we meaning 'society') been so caught up in what we want that we forget what we need?' When did our focus shift so dramatically from having those essential things for life (ie food, shelter etc) to having everything, even if we know we don't really need it! An article today on news.com.au suggests that Gen Y have no focus on saving, merely on spending. A little shocking when you consider that according to the results of the survey, 83% of women plan to live of their partner after they are 50 yet most Gen Y's would rather spend money now than invest it into their Super. So much materialism, so little time.

So back to my original dilemma...of course I may want a big house in a nice suburb, with 2.4 kids, a dog and a luxury car, but I don't need it to be happy. I may have to remind myself of this every now and then when I get carried away with life, but its true. I think the world would be a much better place if we were all content to have what we needed rather than everything we wanted.

No comments: