08 January 2008

Family Fun and Crazy Antics

This year the tradition of 'Three-Pig-Day' continued on 27th December. It started with Bacon at breakfast, continued with Ham at lunch and finished with Pickeled Pork at dinner. All in all a great day of eating I'd say.

Our adventures on holidays continued with 'family fun' (as Chris calls it) in Canberra. First there was a trip to Parliament House to view the Yirrkala Bark Petition. Al and I recently found out that a member of our Indigenous family, Wali Wunungmurra, is the last living signatory to this historical petition. It was an awe inspiring moment when we stood in front of the bark petition at its home in Parliament House. That moment was soon broken through by some crazy guy telling me I could take home the portrait of Robert Menzies if I wanted to! Go figure! Seeing as new security measures meant we couldn't roll down the grass slopes any more we settled for some photos on the roof before meeting Mo for lunch in the grounds of the National Art Gallery.

Mmmmm more ham for lunch and then a trip around the collections of the art gallery including the 2007 National Indigenous Art Symposium. In the gift shop we found a book that we will need to buy our kids to explain Mo, "My Grandmother is a hippy". Pretty much says it all!


Somehow we didn't feel like that was enough culture, so the next day we headed off to the Australia War Memorial to learn more about our nation's history. After about 4hrs the rest of us were ready to go but Al was still stuck in the WW2 section and hadn't even made it to Vietnam and beyond! (Note to self - Husband likes war history).

And if that wasn't enough adventure, we also managed to fit in shopping, scrabble games and rummyking games as well as a visit to the nursing home so Al could play the didg for the olds!

Phew! I think that's enough for now, don't want you to be over-stimulated.

You can check out some of our Christmas pics via this link....more to come when I get time to load them.

Christmas/New Year Photos

No comments: