05 November 2008

No one mourns the Wicked

Except for me. The musical theatre show Wicked that is. I can't believe how amazing it was and I am in mourning for the fact that its over (well the show I saw anyways, they perform 8 shows a week at the moment!). This is, without a doubt, one of the most brilliant productions I have ever had the privilege to witness - and I have seen a few. From the moment it began Ben and I were enthralled. For those that don't know what show I am talking about - here is a quick rundown on the show from their website:

Long before Dorothy dropped in, two other girls meet
in the Land of Oz. One, born with emerald-green skin, is smart, fiery and misunderstood. The other is beautiful, ambitious and very popular. How these two unlikely friends end up as the Wicked Witch of the West and Glinda the Good witch makes for the most spellbinding new musical in years.
From the moment the curtains opened, to the moment they closed at the end of each half I could barely take my eyes off the stage. The actors that play Elphaba and Glinda, although relative unknowns in the world of Musical Theatre, are an inspired choice. Anthony Callea and Rob Mills (aka Australian Idol rejects) were not. Thankfully we didn't have to suffer through Rob Mills' performance - it must have been his day off. Possibly Paris Hilton was in town again (ouch!).

Apart from the unbelievable talent of its two lead characters, what makes Wicked stand out from other recent productions, is that it has an actual story. It's well written and well scripted storyline is supported by an eclectic mix of music by the great Stephen Schwartz. It is not an excuse to throw some aging pop/rock band's music together (aka We Will Rock You or Mamma Mia) nor did some money-hungry producer decide "Gee this movie was great - why not cash with a musical" (aka Priscilla Queen of the Desert and Billy Elliot).


Wicked takes you back to true musical theatre genius with added bonus of advancements in technology. The costumes were spectacular (I was kinda jealous in a weird way) and the choreography was interesting - no jazz hands or spirit fingers to be seen.


If you aren't online booking tickets at this very moment...DO IT, DO IT NOW! You won't regret it.

No comments: