Its funny you know. I have been working really long days, really long hours in the office, weekends etc and I stopped myself today and thought why?
I am currently working on the development of a new intranet for my company and the last few weeks have been filled with a flurry of work with the consultants and content owners at each site getting ready for launch (which I might add after all my work, has been delayed by 4 days till Monday). Through all of this I have been working ALOT. I won't tell you how much as you will all be ashamed of me.
I thought today...'why I am so dedicated to this?'. It is not because I love my job, I don't. It is not because this project will be of some greater good to society, it won't. It is not because I am serving God, I'm not (well not directly...see Colossians 3:23). It is because I feel some necessity within me to appear dedicated to my job.
I am not alone in this. Hundreds of people chain themselves to the office everyday for hours longer than they should, and for what. They don't get recognition from their boss, they don't get paid any more and they are missing valuable time with their friends and family.
So why do we do this to ourselves. I think somewhere along the way society has begun to place work on a pedestal far above where it should be and made it the ultimate goal in life. Therefore, if I am working long hours and going 'hard' at it in the office I am respected.
Can I tell you now this is crap. So, I am calling for you ( and me included) to stop putting work first in our lives. Start putting God, our family and friends first. These are the most important things in life.
That's enough ranting from me for one day......now its time for a glass of champagne and a relax!
1 comment:
Pour me one too!!
Post a Comment